Too young to give blood but old enough to spill it


A cold night in June, on the edge of the Antarctic at the onset of winter, that was when I first thought about death. Having marched across unforgiving terrain in freezing temperatures for two weeks with 130lb on my back, sleeping in the open, I was focused on getting the job done. That was all I could think about when the Company Sergeant Major gathered everyone together before our impending assault on a heavily defended mountain summit. ‘If you’ve got someone up there,’ he said, pointing skywards, ‘you might want to have a word because some of us are not going to see daylight tomorrow.’

It was a sobering thought. I was just 17, a private fresh out of training, fighting a war 8,000 miles from home. I’d never even been abroad before. I was too young to buy a beer in the pub, too young to watch an X-rated movie. Yet here I was, in the Falkland Islands, a place I didn’t know existed until a few weeks earlier, fighting for my country. I was apprehensive but not scared. I was a professional soldier. I’d trained for war. I knew what I’d signed up for. I was prepared to die for my country. But I wasn’t prepared for what followed. The fighting on that mountain top was up close and personal, fraught hand-to-hand combat, one-on-one fighting with knives and bayonets (highly unusual in modern conflicts).

Trying to kill another human-being with my bare hands wasn’t how I imagined war to be. It was just me and him. This is what it came down to, a fist fight, modern technology suddenly redundant. I couldn’t understand the mutterings of my opponent but I understood the burning rage in his eyes as we wrestled each other to the ground. It was a rage not driven by hatred and anger but by desperation and the sheer will to survive. As the fight nears its conclusion, the burning rage turns to compassion. My enemy sees in me what I gradually came to see in him, not a soldier or the enemy but simply an ordinary young man. We were fighting each other because we had been told to yet we suffered the same hardships. We shared the same fears, regrets and the love for our families thousands of miles away. I wasn’t fighting for my country anymore – I was fighting for my hopes and dreams, for the people I loved, for the chance to live my life. When I finally stared death in the face I knew that I didn’t want to die. It wasn’t that I was scared of dying – I simply wanted to live.

A little known fact is that 17-year-old British soldiers fought and died in the 1982 Falklands Conflict. Some joined up at 16, some were signed up at 15. Too young to give blood yet old enough to spill it; too young to vote for the politicians who sent them into battle but old enough to die for them. I joined the British Army in 1981 aged 17 and, like other young soldiers, the casual nature of my own mortality never occurred to me. Indeed, when Argentine forces landed on the Falklands and a British task force was assembled, I was more concerned with how I was going to explain a tattoo I’d had inscribed on my upper arm to my mother who I knew would go berserk upon seeing it. As for the prospect of war, I was a full-time professional soldier in one of the best trained armies in the world. Combat, war – it was all in the job description. But while you can train for combat and hone your military skills in preparation for war you can never fully prepare for what you are about to go through. You can’t simulate fear or death. Like many young squaddies, once I had completed basic training I thought I was invincible. I didn’t think about getting killed because I didn’t think it would happen. And if it did, so what. I wasn’t scared of dying. It’s only when you realize it’s not death itself that matters but what you will leave behind. Most adults grasp that, plenty in their teens would not – unless, of course, confronted by death. But by then it may be too late.

Britain’s recruitment of soldiers young enough to be in school has been questioned recently by senior military and church figures. Britain is the only country in Europe and the only permanent member of the United Nations which legally enlists minors. A recent report by the charity Forces Watch found that those who signed up at 16 were more likely to suffer mental health problems than those recruited as adults. Other research concludes that soldiers who enlisted at 16 have double the risk of fatality in Afghanistan. It would be wrong to ignore the benefits and opportunities that a military career offers young people but can we really continue to ignore the personal costs borne by recruiting soldiers at such a young age?