What was the book that made you fall in love with reading?


Michael Morpurgo, the former children’s laureate, has called on the government to reinstate "story time" in all schools, saying children must have time in the day for contemplation without being tested.

Morpurgo, the author of Private Peaceful and War Horse, said time to hear stories without “questions, comprehension exercises or tests” was the best way to teach children to love reading, adding “too many pupils are introduced to books merely as a tool to learn spelling and punctuation”. He could have a point. I can’t remember reading for pleasure at primary school and once I got to grammar school understanding and interpretation of the text was all that reading seemed to be about; raking over the works of Shakespeare and Orwell, dissecting every page, sentence, every word. Yet while I achieved good grades in English Lit I hated reading.

It was Simon Murray’s Legionnaire, the real-life story of an Englishman in the French Foreign Legion, that changed my view of books. I devoured the book, so much so I embarked on a journey to join the Legion myself although I pulled out at the last minute. But while I didn’t follow through on a dream inspired by a book, the mechanism that created that sudden urge has never left me. Through Simon Murray’s book I discovered the joy of reading. Now I will read almost anything, even re-reading the Orwell books I hated at school – and enjoying them! Not until free of the constraints of feeling obliged to stop and analyse every paragraph could I experience the magic and love of literature. This is what books are really for, they’re supposed to be enjoyed not simply a tool for literacy. Understanding and comprehension of the text is important but we need a reason to fall in love with reading as well.  

Incidently, Michael Morpurgo’s Private Peaceful was on my 11-year-old son’s school summer reading list. My son was so moved by the story I decided to read it too. I liked the book so much it inspired me to write my own YA novel on the effect of war. And that’s the power of literature. It can inspire. It can change lives. You just have to find what works for you.