A movie can have a great soundtrack.Why should fiction be any different?


While I was writing ‘I am the Enemy’ I found myself compiling its soundtrack. Some authors need to write in silence but in order to get into the heads of characters and feel the mood of the story, I like the idea of working with a playlist. Some of the songs from back in the Seventies took me back to my school boy self and enabled me to visualize what a boy of that age would say and do. There are songs I thought the characters would be listening to or complimented their personalities, songs that were appropriate for a particular scene, and songs that just simply fitted the tone and tempo of the book. Music can add substance and meaning to a scene in a book just as much as it can in a movie.

Many authors of are now beginning to create a playlist to accompany their books, especially in Young Adult fiction. Some have their own iMixes on iTunes. And if the author hasn't done the work already there are usually plenty of readers ready to step in with suggestions, as author Natasha Desborough pointed out in a Guardian article recently. ‘The Fault In Our Stars by John Green has inspired countless songs of the same name to be recorded and put up on Soundcloud. It's also prompted adolescent readers, so moved by the book to discuss on forums what should be the 'theme song' for the novel (Coldplay's Fix You and Temper Trap's Sweet Disposition seem to be favourites). In fact, creating a book soundtrack has become common place amongst readers on the internet with suggested playlists for Markus Zusak's The Book Thief, Charlie Higson's The Enemy and Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking series all being listed on blogs and in forums.’

It's now possible to take the relationship between music and fiction a little further. With book trailers proving popular, recording a soundtrack appears to be a natural progression. Sticking a QR code on the back of the book that allows readers to access the songs featured in the book from a mobile device is a logical step. It adds another dimension, enhancing the reading experience and providing another rich layer that allows readers to immerse themselves in the text just that little bit more.

There are around 20 songs in my playlist for ‘I am the Enemy’. They are songs that either evoked a sense of emotion when I was writing the story, or captured perfectly the mood or setting that ultimately helped shaped scenes. Each time I hear these tracks I’m transported to a certain point in the novel, no more so than with Gabrielle Aplin’s evocative cover of ‘The Power of Love’ and the accompanying music video which beautifully captures the tone of ‘I am the Enemy’ at the beginning of the book, in the middle, and at the end. For me it has become the ‘theme song’ and I couldn’t imagine the book without it. It’s almost as if it’s become part of the story. The power of music is a wonderful thing.